4.24.2015

Epistolary Librarian Laetus Falco

A little while ago I finished my Ultramarines Librarian, but wasn't able to get good pics until last night. So, here he is, along with his fluff:

Epistolary Librarian Laetus Falco
From his induction into the Librarius of the Ultramarines, Laetus Falco displayed a penchant for using his powers to unlock the physical and psychic potential of his battle brothers. Those Marines who go to battle beside the Epistolary find themselves possessed of great strength, unassailable mental fortitude, or able to endure or recover from the most dire of wounds.
As a Codicier, Falco was able to use his powers to keep his mentor alive long enough to banish Nodosus, a greater daemon of Nurgle, back to the warp. Falco's mentor died shortly after, but lived long enough to pass his force staff, Reach of Empedocles, to Falco. He has carried it ever since.





I used a darker blue for his armor, since the Codex Astartes indicates that Librarians are marked out by a deep blue. I use a lighter ultramarine shade for my army, so I just stopped one shade darker. You can see the difference in the second picture that shows the shoulder pad with the Chapter icon on it.
His backpack is magnetized so I can swap in a jump pack if I want.

This was a fun model to paint, and I'm really enjoying all of the new clam pack characters GW releases. I'm thinking about painting the Reclusiam Command Squad Chaplain next, after I've finished all the other Ultramarine models in my queue.

4 comments:

  1. He looks great. I really love how your skin tones come out. What's your recipe again?

    It's definitely a cool model. They really are outdoing themselves with their model lines the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      The skin is all Reaper paint. I prime black, then put down a couple coats of Rosy Shadow (I think it's equivalent of old GW Dwarf Flesh, whatever that is now). Then I wash with a mix of flow improver and Ogryn Flesh wash (I think that's Reikland Fleshshade now). Bring it back up to Rosy Shadow, then Rosy skin, and finally highlights of Rosy Highlight.

      If I were to guess, I'd say you could approximate it with Ratskin Flesh, Reikland Fleshshade, Cadian Fleshtone, and then Kislev Flesh. Maybe a final touch of Flayed One Flesh on the nose and brow?

      Delete
  2. His name and lore make him sound like he would be more aggressive than the typical taciturn and stoic Librarian.

    How do you like the model's pose in regards to jump packs? I need a plastic librarian and I've been in interested in this model, except for the fact that the pose doesn't lend itself well to sword swaps or jump packs, and the hood can't fit a helm without cutting into the model.

    I would have instantly purchased this particular model on release if it weren't for all those factors combined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The jump pack sits nicely on his back and doesn't clip the shoulder pads, which is a problem with some HQ models.
      You're correct that you can't put a helmet on him due to the hood. A lot of bare heads won't fit either, especially the larger, older ones. You can swap arms pretty well though, as the arms attach just like other Marine arms. His right shoulder pad is cast into his body though. That will limit poses for weapon swaps.

      Delete