After the flurry of activity in which I engaged to prepare for the Standoff, I'm finding myself completely apathetic to painting and the game in general. The only thing I've done since then is put half a coat of primer on a plasma cannon Marine, throw a quick coat of Shadowed Steel on a magnetized multimelta for an attack bike, and clean and mount 5 helmeted heads for an airbrushing experiment that may eventually turn into a unit of Sternguard.
I guess I'm just sort of jammed up right now. I have the plasma cannon Marine nearly ready for paint, another attack bike waiting for primer, a comms relay waiting for primer, and the five heads as well. My main priority is the airbrush experiment, so I'm waiting to prime those with the airbrush, at which time I'll likely hit the rest of the stuff as well.
The problem with the airbrush is time. It takes time to set up the brush, mix/thin my paint/primer, and then clean up. The spraying is the easiest and fastest part!
So, when I do have motivation to work on something, I don't have the time available for lengthy setup. When I do have some time, I don't have the motivation to bother. Quite the cycle, but one that happens almost every time I do a big ramp-up for an event. It's sort of like climbing a mountain under a time constraint, and then coasting down the opposite slope.
The next "event" on the horizon is my FLGS's December monthly tourney. It's 1500 points and billed as a charity event. Bring canned goods or peanut butter to donate, and you can buy one-time bonuses based on your donation total. Here's the list of buyables:
- Dice re-roll: 1 can
- Auto hit on a deviation dice: Peanut Butter
- Redeploy a unit after initial set up: 5 cans
- Unit/Model gains Skyfire for the turn: Peanut Butter
- Unit/Model Snap fires on 5+ for the turn: 2 cans
- Unit/Model Snap fires on 4+ for the turn: 5 cans
- Deny the witch on 5+: 2 cans
- Auto Pass a look Out Sir: 2 cans
- Model/Unit gains eternal warrior for the turn: 5 cans
- Model/Unit attacks gain instant death for the turn: Peanut Butter
- Model/Unit Attacks gain +1 Str for the turn: 5 cans
- Model/Unit Attacks gain Rending for the turn: 2 cans
- Model/Unit gains fleet for the turn: 2 cans
There are a lot of neat toys here, and hopefully that will entice folks to bring a lot of stuff to donate.
I'm not sure what I would bring for a list to this one. I drafted up a few lists before the change to charity format, but I think I'll revise now to make the list a little more goofy and fun. Do I run something outlandishly top-heavy, like a 10-Terminator list? Something far too elite and small, like Deathwing? Marines are hard to make silly!
What would you bring to an event like this?