11.06.2012

Real Wargamer?

I found this while hopping blogrolls this morning, and found myself over at Frontline Gamer. It's apparently a list of qualifications to be a "real" wargamer. Let's see how I do, shall we?

* Spent at least £500 on figures / tanks - and you get extra kudos for every £500 you've spent
What is that, about $750 bucks? Yeah, I've got that one covered. I dont' have a true calculation on what I've spent, and I think it would be depressing to attempt to total it up.

* Pricked your finger or thumb on a pike block - several times
Oddly enough, I've never cut or damaged myself while modelling. I'm careful and have pretty good dexterity.

* Tried at least 10 different rule sets and vowed never to play half of them ever againNope. I've tried 40K, WHFB, and Reaper's Warlord system. I only quit on WHFB and Warlord (and Warlord only because no one plays it). I played Star Wars minis and Heroclix for a while, but I'm not sure those count.

* Bought an army off EBaySort of. I've bought a couple of discarded collections that I rolled into my army, but never an entire complete army.

* Sold an army on EBay
Nope. I've sold bitz and single models here and there, but not a whole army. The closest I can claim is selling my fledgling Sisters of Battle collection on Bartertown. It was hardly an army though.

* Spent months painting an army - then used it in anger once
Hell no. I'm a one-army kinda guy. I've been building for four plus years, and playing for the same.

* Tried several different periods and genres
See above. Just sci-fi and fantasy for me, and since I now HATE fantasy, just sci-fi.

* Dropped a box of figures on the floor from a great height
No. Who in their right mind stores their models in a box?

* Lost a battle on the last throw of the dice
Sure, plenty of times. But the problem is that 40K now ends games on a die roll, so that applies to almost EVERY game of 40K where it's not a lopsided win/loss.

* Made at least one enemy for life
No comment!

* Had a proper, stand up argument over a wargamers table
I don't have time to shout at folks over toy soldier games any more. I'm not sure I ever did.

* Thrown a dice across a room
In exasperation, yes. In anger, no. I've "banished" a few dice from time to time. Just a casual toss over the shoulder to be rid of the saboteur in my camp.

* Rebased an army for a different rule set
No.

* Inflicted a whopping defeat on an opponent
I've rolled a couple people, but mostly newbies. Close games are FAR more fun than a stomping.

* Suffered an embarrassing defeat due to a stupid tactical decision
I don't get embarrassed when I lose. I might do a little headsmack, but I don't lament losses.

* Joined a wargamers club
Nope.

* Bought a ton of lead that remains unpainted
Oh yes, I have boxes and shelves full of unpainted items that I've had for a couple years now.

* Been to a wargamers show
Nope. Not exactly sure what that is. A convention? Still no.

* Have more dice than is logical or necessary to own - and have used most of them
No such thing as too many dice. I have my GW cube, a retired Chessex cube, and a gallon zipper bag half-filled with other dice. I have a little ritual I use for selecting dice the night before a tourney. That's NOT insane. Not at all. My wife doesn't make faces at me as I roll dice across the counter while she's cooking dinner. Never.

* Have taken boxes of troops down to a club just to show them off to your matesJust one box. My first trip to my FLGS was actually taken in order to scope out the place and show off my first painted Tactical Squad to someone besides my wife.



So, by this list I'm not a proper wargamer. Bummer. I think I'll keep painting and playing though.

No comments:

Post a Comment